Friday, May 29, 2009

Reflections On My First Year by Sir Cooper Potcake

As I look back on my first year on this earth, I am so grateful to the wonderful Potcake Rescue Group and my new parents for giving me a wonderful life. I was born April 30, 2008 and was found on a chicken farm in Abaco, Bahamas. I was first named Freckles by the rescue group. I liked riding in Janie’s boat with her when I was so little. I always like to see what is going on around me! On August 24, 2008 I came to live with my new parents, Marty & Michelle. When they first came to meet me, I trotted up to Michelle and put my paws around her neck and gave her a big hug. It was love at first sight. She had lost her pointer-lab mix in July and that left a big hole in her heart. I was more than happy to help her through that. It was that day that I became known as Sir Cooper Potcake.

I have been on many trips and seen many things this year. I’ve been to Blue Ridge, GA where we got to stay in a cabin that was on a stream…

Then, I got to go to Nashville to meet my Mom’s mom. She really liked me. They think it’s funny that I when I play I HOP around the yard and then POUNCE on my toys. They wonder if all Potcakes do that, but I’m not telling them.

For Thanksgiving, we went to Harpers Ferry, WV where my Mom’s brother and sister-in-law live. That drive took me through the wonderful states of South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. My parents say that I’m a very good traveler. I’m happy to go in the car anytime that they give me the chance, which is frequent. While we were there I got to go on a hike with my parents and my Uncle Chris. It was fun! I saw some deer and other wildlife that I wanted to chase. We also got to go to Annapolis, Maryland one day. That’s when I learned that I was a US Naval Academy fan … Go Navy, Beat Army!

For Christmas, we went to visit my dad’s family in Binghamton, NY. That was a trip I’ll never forget. I added to my list of states to visit Pennsylvania and New York. As we got closer, it got colder, but I liked it! When we got to the house, there was this white stuff on the ground. I later found out that it was snow, but I wasn’t scared of it. We even found me some fenced in areas where I could run free in the snow. I will have to admit that even though I’m an island dog, I am a big fan of playing in the snow.

Since then, I have been on many trips – some just to run errands with Mom and some to Nashville to see my Grandma. One trip that I didn’t enjoy too much was when I had to have a little eye surgery at the vet. I did not like that cone around my head but it didn’t stop me from trying to play!

I’ve made some wonderful friends that helped me to celebrate my birthday. They also come over and see me for play dates. One is a lab-chow mix named Lacey. She’s a few months older than I am, but she’s my girlfriend. The other is a 7-year-old Weimeraner named Max. He is trying to teach me to be obsessed with the tennis ball like he is, but it hasn’t caught on yet.

All in all, I’ll have to say that I have a very wonderful life and I’m so happy to have been adopted! Now my days are filled with playing, chasing birds and squirrels, disemboweling stuffed animals, and naps!!!

No comments: