Friday, February 6, 2009

Wow – my ‘cakes are doing so well! I don’t trust them on carpet but they are bouncing in and out of the doggy door with no problems and I didn’t have any accidents at all last night when I left them alone at dinner and during the night. They are all now piling into my bedroom and sleeping on various pillows. Just an occasional house shoe is taken outside. We are supposed to have a mob at Pet Smart tomorrow so I’ll report on Monday as to how many went to their new homes.

On Sunday, I am going to a memorial service for my two dogs that crossed the Rainbow Bridge this past year – Rascal passed in August at 14+; he had a stomach tumor and rapidly deteriorated. And then Sadie passed in her sleep in October. She was only 6 but had problems since she was born and I think I was lucky to have her for as long as I did. I had them both cremated at Paws, Whiskers, and Wags on Ponce de Leon, and they hold an annual memorial celebration to honor all pets that passed. I will be attending with some friends of mine who also lost their beloved companion. I also want to commend the DeKalb-Gwinnett Animal Emergency Clinic for their care and concern when I took Rascal there. They provided plenty of privacy and time while Judy, her husband, and I got to say goodbye and hold Rascal while he slipped away peacefully. And when I left, they also gave me a little clay imprint of his paw to take with me. Very sad but it provided closure. I sincerely believe all my companion animals that have passed are still around me and help me choose the next. One of my favorite quotes is “Saving just one dog won’t change the world… but surely the world will change for that one dog” and I intend to keep rescuing until the day I cross over.

No comments: